About Colonial Williamsburg
For seventy-five years, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation has provided resources to support history education in the nation’s schools. By working with educators, Colonial Williamsburg has developed an array of resources and teaching strategies to excite and engage students in the study of American history. The CWF motto, “that the future may learn from the past,” focuses our energies on developing young citizens who see the value and necessity of participating in this experiment in democracy that we call America.
Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture – stories of our journey to become Americans – while historic trades people research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry.